My first LOL moment of the night came courtesy of Seacrest. “A test of courage, a test of stamina and strength.” Really Seacrest? It’s Hollywood Week. It’s challenging and overwhelming but it’s not exactly Basic Training.
So tonight we caught a glimpse of the 147 singers who made it through to Hollywood. Prior to taking the stage to sing accapella, the contestants got a chance to go through Idol Boot Camp. What a neat idea. Even if you get kicked out after Day 1, at least you can tell your friends you heard Barry Manilow give a motivational speech.
Here are some of my thoughts on the folks who got through tonight.
- Lil Rounds, 23 – Lil is far and away one of the best female vocalists I’ve heard so far. I think I liked her audition performance a little better though. Tonight’s rendition of “I Will Always Love You” seemed a little out of control at times. Still amazing though!
- Nathaniel Marshall – He had my second LOL moment of the night. He finished singing then started crying and blubbering a bit on stage. ” I want this more than anything. It’s on my skin like it just bursts out of me every time I’m on stage and I don’t know why.” He wasn’t an amazing singer and I’m a little surprised he got through to the next round of Hollywood Week. Maybe his sob story worked on the judges. I’ll have to give him another look on Night 2.
- Anoop Desai, 21 – I love Anoop. He is a great vocalist and he seems like a really genuine guy. I am excited to see how far he goes in the competition. I’m worried he may not have enough star power.
- Rose Flack, 16 – Her voice and style are really unique but I’m not sold just yet. I don’t think I’d buy a CD of her music, but then again, as long as millions of others would, it doesn’t matter.
- Jorge Nunez, 20 – Jorge has a huge voice! He’s really a pleasure to listen to and I see him going places after the show, Top 36 or not. His crossover appeal is off the charts. I loved the song he sang in Spanish during the audition and hopefully he’ll get to incorporate that into his future performances.
- Von Smith, 22 – Giant mouth. Okay voice. I see him in musical theater, he’s very dramatic.
- Danny Gokey, 28 – Danny is one of those guys that can go either way. He’s got a nice voice (loved that he sang “Kiss From A Rose”) but I need to hear him sing a few more times before I can tell if I like him or not. Lucky for Danny, he’s got the friend angle, the sob story and the fact that Paula loves him on his side. (Sidenote: When I heard him sing the first time I thought, “His voice sounds like it would be a good match for Christian rock.” Turns out he’s a church music teacher. It was a borderline ESP moment)
- Katrina Darrell, 20 – I wouldn’t have put Katrina through back at the first audition so color me stunned when she got through to round 2 of Hollywood Week. She’s gorgeous and I’m sure she’s a great model, but as a singer I was unimpressed given the level of talent present.
- Erika Wesley, 26 – So Erika didn’t make it through but I had a few things to say. 1. Shes an FBI Agent which is totally bad ass. 2. When she started pleading for another chance after she didn’t make it through, I thought she was going to go rogue and start torturing the judges Jack Bauer style. That would’ve been a much better way to go down swinging than just begging and telling them it’s your husband’s birthday.
Anyone else have picks or early opinions from tonight? I think this season has a lot of potential, there are some real talents out there. I’m amped for Night 2: Group singing. Bring on the tears!